Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Christmas Gift Idea

I've been working on our family Christmas gift this year.  I always try to come up with something interesting and unexpected as a small treat/thank you to all the people who have touched our lives throughout the year.  I spend the fall brainstorming on creative ideas.  Then, once I decide on the gift, I begin gathering all the items needed to put it together in December.  I like to make the gift, but I can't spend tons of time baking, so I have to think outside the box. 

While I can't share this year's gift [since some of you who are reading this will receive one], I can share ideas from my last couple of years.  Unfortunately, I don't have pictures of the presents; but hopefully, I can explain them in detail for you.

Two years ago,  I gave "Cava with Violet Syrup" as our gift.  I ordered violet syrup [which you can get on line and it comes in a large bottle]. 

I poured the syrup into small bottles [vials really] and attached a pretty label entitled "violet syrup" to each vial.

  Then I picked up bottles of Cava [but you could use Prosecco or Champagne].  

I tied the syrup vials to the neck of each Cava bottle with beautiful ribbon and a card explaining to pour a few drops of the syrup into the bottom of each champagne flute and add the chilled Cava for a fun cocktail.  




Last year, I continued the cocktail theme and made "Bloody Mary Mix with Seasoned Salt."  I made my recipe for Bloody Mary mix sans the liquor and poured these into large bottles I ordered on line. 


 Then I picked up these wonderful seafood salts from one of my favorite local restaurants, Hot and Hot Fish Club and attached the salt to each bottle by placing it in a cellophane bag and tying it to the neck of the Bloody Mary mix bottle with a satin ribbon.  

Here is an example of a Bloody Mary with a salted rim of the glass.


Since the mix was red, I used a green satin ribbon with a cute tag about making these when you have to deal with the stresses of the holidays "add vodka (or not) perfect for tree trimming and in-law mingling or for a Christmas morning pick me up."



This year, I am not doing a cocktail, but that is all I am willing to share at the moment.  You will have to wait and see! 


Reminder: if you have not signed up for my pillow giveaway, get busy!  All you have to do is become a follower and comment on this post http://interiordesignmusings.blogspot.com/2010/11/pillow-giveaway.html.  It ends tomorrow! 

No comments:

Post a Comment